Monday 4 June 2012

Number 34, Getting Legless

This one is pretty odd, I admit.  As I have remarked before, although I write this stuff, it is as if I am being channeled, as what ends up on the paper is not really the product of any planning or forethought!  I think what happened here is that I sometimes get asked by children how I lost my leg (I really do only have one), and make up wild stories about it, and several of them got caught up together:


Getting legless.

I used to have more legs than now,
But lost most of them, this is how:
The first to go was on a farm;
The baler was what did it harm.

The next one came off when I crashed;
That leg against a bus got mashed.
It put a stop to driving fast;
Although that leg was not my last!

Another one was lost soon after;
I think the shark was drawn by laughter.
As we frolicked in the sea,
It made a beeline right for me.

A crocodile or alligator,
Inevitably got me later.
Silly though it sounds to you;
It happened in my local zoo!

Frost bite got another one,
By now I’m down to nearly none,
But luckily I had some spares,
Until I broke them on the stairs!

Not everyone is quite like me;
And you might say, that’s luckily.
But I can warn you to beware,
And of your legs take greater care.

Don’t fill your boots with alcohol,
Make abstinence your protocol;
Walk straight and tall and don’t see double,
And keep yourself well out of trouble.

Because there are so many ways,
That a leg can end its days.
I have only one leg now...
I’ll try to keep it anyhow!


© Stephen Saunders

To book Steph'nonsense for a rhyming evening:
bowleyfarm@gmail.com or 01428 741212

Agent / publisher wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment