Monday 4 June 2012

Number 33, Doing Nothing

It's June the 4th I think, bank holiday Monday, Queen's Diamond Jubilee.  You'd think I could write something about that, but no.  Maybe I will some other time, but I have found that when I sit down to write the result rarely has anything to do with any preconceived topic or idea. Whatever appears on paper is usually a surprise.

This is number 33, and I estimate that I am on day 39.  I could be wrong, but it will all tally up in the end.


Nothing Doing.

I might have to go to bed,
Very little having said.
It’s well past late and I’ve been staring,
At blank paper; long past caring.

I sat down at half past three,
Full of good intentions me.
Before I got one sentence down,
Two friends arrived from up in town.

I gave them both a cup of tea,
And asked them if they’d come and see
My work, and offer me advice;
They both said it was ‘very nice’!

That’s no good, I told the pair
I need the truth to make it fair.
I need to hear if what I’ve done,
Is bad or good or second to none.

I gave them each a couple of drinks,
To get what each one of them thinks.
Unless it is a Trappist monk,
The truth comes out when someone’s drunk.

But try to ply them as I might,
This went on late into the night.
One of them began to say...
But what came out was ‘It’s OK’.

And so I persevered till morning
When I heard the sound of snoring.
Like screwed up paper in a heap
They both fetched up there fast asleep. 

Now it's too late to go to bed,
So maybe I will write instead.
But just for now I'll skip this one,
And hope the next is much more fun.


© Stephen Saunders

To book Steph'nonsense for a rhyming evening:
bowleyfarm@gmail.com or 01428 741212

Agent / publisher wanted.




No comments:

Post a Comment