Saturday 2 June 2012

4th May, Number 13, Prevarivacation


It is now late on Friday 4th May, and I have not written anything sensibly childish for two days, so I hope I find my inspiration again soon. I have been rather busy, it has to be said, yesterday my e-bay auction for my MG ended without a bid, and then I started to get inquiries.  People are coming to see it, so hopefully I will get a good price.

Yesterday I got back on a horse, (not literally).  It is a good metaphor.  I spent the day on a refresher with another driver on an articulated truck.  I've not driven artics for a good few years and I have a new part time job with Condor Logistics, who own Condor Ferries, hauling trailers from the docks.  It is to fill in the days when there's no work at the tree nursery, now that the season is about to start winding down for the summer.  I was driving a DAF XF.  That probably means nothing to you, but it's a big one!   The entire fleet at Condor are fully automatic, and very well appointed.  As easy to drive as a car, just a lot bigger.

Today I was back on my little 12 tonne MAN for the nursery, and after work managed to get some of the lawn cut for our elderly neighbour.  Not a lot of time left for writing. 

Had a very hot dinner; spicy hot.

Here's one for today, number 13.  It might need a little additional work, as might any of them really.  I do re-read them over and over, and sometimes change something here and there.  But this is a first draft for now:

Number 13


Prevarivacation

I don’t know quite where to go, on holiday this year.
It could be Spain by car or plane, or France as it’s so near.
It could be Greece (I could buy a piece) the way things are out there!
Australia is way too far, New Zealand even more,
I’ll scrub out going to Devon as I’ve been there once before.
I could go down to Nice I s’pose and visit Monte Carlo,
Or sample all the highs and lows of the river Thames at Marlow.
Some people rave about Scotland the Brave, it’s great in certain bits;
But people say that after May the place is plagued with nits.
I’m doubting Iceland too I guess, though Patagonia somewhat less;
It can be cold at certain times and does indeed have varied climes;
Overall it sounds OK, so let me leave it for a day,
To think about it as an option which perhaps requires adoption.
Few people go, of whom I know to anywhere near there;
It’s off the beaten track a bit, I’m getting quite attached to it!
No doubt it’s really just as far as going to Australia,
But what the heck, I think I’ll book
A ticket there and take a look,
At all things Patagonian...

....or should I stay at home again
Like last year when I got cold feet,
And chickened out and failed to meet
The check-in time and missed the plane,
And had to come back home again?
I reassured myself that hey,
There always is another day,
And this is it, it’s now or never,
Shall I go, ...or shall I ever?


© Stephen Saunders

To book Steph'nonsense for a rhyming evening:
bowleyfarm@gmail.com or 01428 741212

Agent / publisher wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment