Saturday 2 June 2012

Number 30, Strapped


I spend a lot of time driving, either in a truck or car.  I drive two different trucks, and have five cars, one, the MG is for sale at this point.  Nevertheless, driving allows some opportunity for thinking, and for inspiration, which I imagine is already revealing itself, as quite a few of my rhymes are to do with the road.   I have been experimenting with recording myself reading my rhymes, and I have given myself a kind of performing name of Behind the Wheel. It seems to sit well with me.  I might go to an open mike session and try them out one day. There is one in Petersfield called Write Angle.  I've been twice, a long time ago, and it might be a good trying out spot to see if my rhymes get a laugh or not.  


30, and catching up.  I think it is day 33.


Our daily bread.

Ever since I was a lad
I’ve tried to emulate my dad.
He was never in a hurry,
Neither did he ever worry.
Somehow he was always able
To put some dinner on the table,
To pay the rent and pay the bills
On a decent house in the Sussex hills.
I’ve no idea quite how he did it
What his job was, how he hid it.
He an enigmatic bloke,
Hung out with the coolest folk!

Meanwhile life for me has been
A bit of a disaster scene;
No home that I can call my own,
No way of paying off a loan.
I have tried a million things,
Planning that one of them brings
A bit more cash to pay for stuff,
And all I want is just enough.
While hoping every scheme makes money;
What I s’pose is really funny,
Is though all these things are fun
I seem to end up making none!

But I always count my blessings,
Now my secrets I’m confessing;
Friends I have, a wife and son.
I think we’re liked by everyone,
We’re happy, healthy, not gone blind,
Got our marbles, I think you’ll find.
We go to church, and sometimes pray
For a bit more cash to come our way,
But really there’s not much we need,
As long as every day we feed,
And somehow every day we do...
We’re really very well, thank you!

© Stephen Saunders





To book Steph'nonsense for a rhyming evening:
bowleyfarm@gmail.com or 01428 741212

Agent / publisher wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment