Monday 16 July 2012

Number 65, Stay Home Today.


Number 65, only 300 to go!!

Stay Home Today.

Today I went out in the car,
Heading into town;
I didn’t get so very far,
Because a tree’d come down.

I turned around and went right back,
Collected my chain saw,
Then off again to clear the track;
That’s what the thing is for.

After half an hour or so,
I had it cleared away,
So on I went, I had to go
And get on with my day.

Around the corner in a dip,
I had to stop again;
A flood was going to stop my trip,
Because of too much rain.

My car’s a Jeep so I’m up high,
The one in front was low;
I could get through and still stay dry,
But this little one was slow.

It crept into the flood, and then
In the middle stopped;
With water pouring in the doors,
Out a woman hopped!

I turned around and went back home,
And got myself a rope,
I couldn’t leave her all alone;
She didn’t have a hope.

I pulled her through, then tried to get,
Her car going again.
But now my socks and shoes were wet,
So I’m back up the lane.

At home again I found a pair
Of dry socks and some shoes,
And once again set off from there,
With not much time to lose.

This time I made it past the flood,
The town was now in view;
A truck had skidded on the mud
In a giant slew!

The truck was right across the road,
With tons of gravel which
Had made the lorry and the load,
Jack-knife in the ditch!

I turned the Jeep around once more,
And went the other way;
I wasn’t going, that’s for sure
Anywhere today!

Sometimes it’s better not to try,
Maybe to stay in bed,
I’ll stay at home warm and dry;
Do something else instead!


© Stephen Saunders

To book Stephen for a rhyming evening:
bowleyfarm@gmail.com or 01428 741212

Agent / publisher wanted.




















No comments:

Post a Comment