Friday 13 July 2012

Number 62, Stranger!

Stranger!

I don't think you know my name,
Never mind, it's all the same;
Also you don't know my face,
Nor my age and not my place.

My job is quite unknown to you,
You’ve no idea quite what I do,
Do you know what makes me tick,
Or the things that make me sick?

I don’t think you'd ever guess,
If I'm neat or I'm a mess;
If I hunker down inside,
Or if I travel far and wide.

Am I tall or am I short?
Have you seen my school report?
Did it call me a trend setter,
Or did it say I could do better?

Do I lead or do I follow?
Is my sense of humour hollow?
Was I top of class at school?
Did I keep or break the rules?

Have I contributed yet,
Or is the net result a debt?
Am I rich or am I poor?
What exactly am I for?

I like to have a little fun,
I am the person who has run,
For many years at the same place;
The Oxford and Cambridge Goat Race!

I also run from time to time,
A very popular hill climb;
Called ‘The Better of The Worse',
The cars all do it in reverse!

You may well wonder at the name,
But the cars are all the same;
Reliant Three Wheelers sometimes will,
Go backwards quickly up a hill!

But another thing to know;
Ambition has begun to grow.
I think I’ll try my hand abroad,
I’d really like to be adored...

For services to sport and fun,
And to be known by everyone!
Enigmatic I may be,
I'll be famous soon, you'll see:

The time has come for me to aim,
For some international fame;
I will my resumé enhance,
With The Unicycle Tour De France!

© Stephen Saunders

To book Stephen for a rhyming evening:
bowleyfarm@gmail.com or 01428 741212

Agent / publisher wanted.


No comments:

Post a Comment