Wednesday 29 August 2012

Number 95, Dear Publisher

Dear Publisher.

I make no bones, I’d like to be,
Just like Julia Donaldson, me;
So what I really need to find,
Is an Axel Scheffler kind.

Would you kindly take a look,
And see if you can see a book
Among my many tales that rhyme,
And maybe bring me luck this time?

I keep on writing even though
It isn’t easy, that I know;
But it’s what I want to do…
Every day write something new.

So far I’ve written ninety five,
As every morning I contrive
To tease a story from the air,
(Or from that lump below my hair).

Some are better, some are worse,
But as examples of light verse,
Hopefully now and again,
Someone they might entertain.

Some are childish, some are daft,
Some work in progress, just a draft,
But any of them really could
Be published, if you kindly would

© Stephen Saunders



2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephen, thanks for your comment on my road train post at holtieshouse, we share an interest in poetry also if you visit my site http://poetrygalore.blogspot.com.au/ there is some of my granddads my Fathers and my own as well as some great poetry from real poets, loved your site, have it bookmarked!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter,

      Many thanks for your message, I had already had a good read of the poetry on your other site when I found you the other day, there's a lot there. My wife is always trying to get me to shorten my work!

      I spent quite a lot of time cris-crossing Australia in the early eighties, I've driven most of it (except Tasmania), including spending three years more or less in the Great Sandy Desert. It is a home away from home. Last time I was in Aus I was living in Cessnock in the Hunter valley, earning my living as a balloon pilot. These days I am back behind the wheel in and out of the docks at Portsmouth, trying to find inspiration for my challenge as I go along, but it comes and goes. Nothing written in the last three days. Hopefully I'll get more done tomorrow. The challenge is just that, but if it was easy it wouldn't be one!

      Getting into G K Chesterton at the moment, and think some good ideas will come from him. I had no idea he was such a genius. Recommend "All Things Considered".

      Kind regards Stephen.

      Delete