Saturday 18 August 2012

Number 84, I Got The Blues

I Got The Blues.

I woke this morning with the blues,
On hearing something on the news,
It came on breakfast radio;
Something I didn’t want to know...

It said, as I woke up in bed
That from today things would be red!
This came to me as some surprise,
And not something I thought was wise.

You see I am a gentle fellow,
And though I don’t want all things yellow;
For me I would have much preferred,
If red had not been what I’d heard...

Red is like a shade of grey,
Like Communism in a way;
Nothing much to celebrate,
More likely me to irritate.

I am a taurus born in May,
And love the smell of new mown hay;
I love the sound of cattle lowing,
But red can get my temper going!

In any case it’s not quite right;
Painting the town red late at night,
Is one thing, but then in the morning,
It comes to shepherds as a warning!

Red for danger, red for stop,
Red’s the colour which we drop
When we bleed, onto the floor;
We don’t require red anymore!

We tried for years with all things white,
And things were going on alright,
But though some people thought it grand,
Ultimately white was banned.

Black has yet to be applied,
Though in some places has been tried;
And while it gives strong definition,
Might be quite an imposition...

Of course we all remember well,
The Golden age our mothers tell
To all and sundry, as the best
Age, out-performing all the rest!

Not long ago we got confused,
And every colour mixed we used;
Psychedelic day-glo swirls,
On everybody, boys and girls!

Then there was the period pink;
A gay abandon time I think,
And in between we tried out brown,
But this got everybody down.

What nowadays should more be seen,
Is nature’s favourite colour green;
I think we all might sympathise,
If we photosynthesize!

© Stephen Saunders

To book Stephen for a rhyming evening:
bowleyfarm@gmail.com or 01428 741212

Agent / publisher wanted.















No comments:

Post a Comment