Wednesday 3 October 2012

Number 108, Not Right Now




Not Right Now.

Rufus Four Legs lies in bed,
A tatty cushion ‘neath his head,
All four legs are in the air,
Showing off his tummy hair.

He wags his tail as if to say;
‘Rub me if you come this way,
You know there’s nothing I like more,
Unless of course you’re out the door!’

Then he gets up in a flash,
Out between your legs he’ll dash;
‘Going for a walk are we,
Or is it just to have a pee?’

‘I’ll just chase that rabbit there,
And bark a bit if you don’t care,
I need to check the neighbour’s cat,
And sniff the gate, and things like that!’

‘I’m ready now, please hurry up’,
He jumps about like he’s a pup,
Then he runs off down the lane,
Just as I go in again!

I only popped out for the post;
Thirty seconds at the most,
I’m still in my dressing gown,
I’m going in and sitting down.

I haven’t had my breakfast yet,
Before I do I’m going to get
A cup of coffee, read the mail;
You just sit and wag your tail.

Later on, I think it best,
That if we walk I should be dressed,
It’s easy for a dog like you,
Not having things like that to do.

You don’t even brush your hair,
You’re always ready, it’s not fair,
So don’t go rushing me into
Going for a walk with you!

Rufus Four Legs cocks his ear;
‘Going for a walk I hear,
Come on then!’, he’s clean forgot…
I only just told him we’re not.

Not this minute anyway,
But we will, sometime today,
And if you do not pester me,
Perhaps a long one, wait and see!


© Stephen Saunders




2 comments:

  1. So much talent from only one man Stephen, it hardly seems fair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very kind, can I refer you to "Drawing for the Artistically Undiscovered" (Klutz edition) by Quentin Blake and John Cassidy!

    There is (more than) one special talent that has eluded me for decades though, despite reading many books on the subject; how to make money! So I am taking a lesson from my wife who said 'do what you love and let everything else follow'. So here I am. Number 110 notwithstanding! Kind regards Stephen.

    ReplyDelete