Tuesday 25 September 2012

Number 104, Dock of the Bay.



Dock of the Bay

In a funny kind of way,
I think it’s been an OK day,
Not because of things I’ve done;
In fact I think I have done none.

While my wife shopped at the mall,
I didn’t go to work at all,
I didn’t walk the dog and do
That thing you have to with his poo!

I let him go out on his own,
So he could try to find his bone,
Meanwhile I went back to bed,
And dozed off for a while instead.

I slept quite well which made a change,
It made me think I’ll rearrange,
My bedtime to accommodate,
Getting up a lot more late.

I noticed that the grass was tall,
But I didn’t care at all,
Any other day I know,
I would have given it a mow.

But this time I thought ‘I don't care’
What the lawn looks like back there.
I’d rather lie and read a book;
Give it not a second look.

I didn’t bother getting dressed,
My dressing gown I thought was best,
And though no longer feeling tired,
All day I was thus attired.

The postman brought a bill or two,
Which I ignored and left to do,
Another day... they all could wait;
These are things I really hate.

The telephone rang once or twice,
And though it isn’t very nice,
I left it to the answerphone,
And let them think I’m not at home.

And so I’ve changed my mind about,
The age old saying they always spout;
Never do today what you,

Can put off for a day or two!

© Stephen Saunders

No comments:

Post a Comment