Sunday 11 November 2012

Number 124. Coffin and Splutterin



Coffin and Splutterin.

Every time I wasn’t well,
My dad an old adage would tell;

'Don’t worry if you have a cough;
It’s not the cough that carries you off,

Fear instead the wooden coffin
The coffin they finally carry you off in!'

Never mind that I was eight;
I dreaded being called ‘The late!’

And so today as I lie ill,
I think of my old daddy still,

Not because he was a joker
Rather my old chest’s a choker!

Still, I’ve got to fifty five;
Coughing yes, but still alive,

I’ve taken several nasty knocks,
Though none quite put me in my box,

Unless you count the time I put,
Into a grave my lost left foot.

I packed it off ahead of me,
Don’t believe me? Go and see,

You’ll find it clearly marked with stone,
In a pasture all alone,

Just below the Downs at Harting,
Where a little path is starting.

Buried there in ninety three,
It’s quite a major part of me,

But when I'm really gone and dead,
How far away will be my head?

(Since I don’t think I ever will,
Be laid to rest by that same hill).

So on my headstone there could be,
A map to find the rest of me;

In case your mourning’s incomplete
Without addressing both my feet!

© Stephen Saunders











1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephen,
    Sorry to hear that you're not well
    Could it be just the season,
    Or is there a deeper reason?
    Either way you get a spell
    From writing poems straight from Hell.

    ReplyDelete