Monday 5 November 2012

Number 122, Scrabble!

Scrabble!

We could always play Scrabble, my wife often says;
I’m tired, I’d say no, but tonight I said yes.
Wind, winsome and ham are not a great start,
And stuck with a Q I could quickly lose heart;
Where are the Us, as I’m playing one short?
I’m winning she says, as she puts down report.
But still I am trailing a few points behind,
Plane becomes planet, with not below wind
And what do I pick up, an L and a T,
Which leaves seven consonants looking at me!
The H on a double twice boosts my score,
But left with no vowels, I badly need more,
And still I have not yet picked up a U,
And consequently have a redundant Q.
The question now is can you be winsomer?
And no she can’t get a triple with summer!
Meanwhile I’m looking at placing a V,
But halk’s not a word if it hasn’t an E.
So vole becomes lone and halk becomes hank
And this leaves a chance to turn it to thank.
Thank turns out fine in a block with a ho,
And twenty four points is quite a good go.
Two vowels on the pick up, but still not a U,
I think going to bed is the best thing to do!
She’s stalling and stuck anyway, I can tell,
And now I might have a new plan as well;
I could pick up her blank by donating my T,
To use as a U with the Q to make quay.
Not that there’s anywhere really worthwhile,
Not even a double to put my Q tile.
Perhaps I’ll wait till she’s had one more go,
And see if a spot is revealed, but oh, no!
She’s taken a triple with trug, there’s the U;
The one that I wanted, but now what to do?
Time’s getting late, she slips off to her shower,
The game could continue for many an hour.
It’s often quite good to rest for the night,
And at breakfast suddenly things can come right.
Sometimes I’ve stared at my tiles for a day,
Then a seven letter word simply comes my way!
But when there’s a score that’s so far ahead
She might throw in the tiles and stomp off to bed!

© Stephen Saunders





No comments:

Post a Comment